Deaf and Disabled Members
The Deaf and Disabled members' network is a place to share information, organise, and lobby on issues which affect our communities.
The Deaf and Disabled network was set up to enable PSA members who are Deaf or Disabled to come together and discuss their issues, and to develop a plan of activities that supports the promoting the interests of Deaf and Disabled people within the PSA.
1. Gathering Deaf and Disabled union members together and increasing our visibility within the union movement.
2. Supporting the union to develop its resources for Deaf and Disabled members and increasing awareness of the issues of particular interest to disabled members.
3. Involving Deaf and Disabled members to ensure the needs and desires of our communities are heard in broader campaigns and union initiatives.
All Deaf and Disabled PSA members are encouraged to join and actively participate in the network.
This network celebrates our diverse communities living with different abilities and our right to organise and be heard.
We also want to tap into the great leadership potential that exists within our communities and make sure it has a chance to flourish. We want to make sure that in deciding critical campaign issues the voices from our deaf and disabled communities are strong and clear. You as a member will help define this voice so we encourage you to get involved.
- A chance to meet others from our deaf and disabled communities, network, have fun and organise
- A regular newsletter of current events and stories of fantastic people from our communities
- A chance to attend any meetings or events organised by the network
- Access to resources that you can use-this year we will be uploading resources for the network such as flyers, a brochure and posters.
Employer attitudes towards employing disabled people
Research has been commissioned to explore New Zealand employers’ attitudes towards employing disabled people.
Employers were asked a range of questions in order to find out more about the qualities they looked for in potential employees, what they thought were the barriers to the employment of disabled people, about their attitudes towards disabled people, how they thought staff and customers perceived disabled staff and to what extent they were influenced in their employment decisions by the reactions of others. Find out more at think differently.
Imagine a world where every person, building and community is truly accessible. That world is what Be. Accessible has set out to create.
Be. Accessible is a social change initiative and a holistic framework for accessibility with a mission to create a truly accessible country for us all. Find out more over at their website.
ImagineBetter is an independent agency promoting leadership and outcome-based quality in services for people with disabilities, the mentally unwell and older people. To find out more head on over to their website.
- Deaf & Disabled Flyer 2019 pdf | 313 KB | Last Changed: 17/11/2019 2:03pm
- PSA-Agenda-for-Inclusion-of-Disabled-People-August-2017 pdf | 420 KB | Last Changed: 28/08/2017 4:52pm
- A-Guide-to-Using-Disability-Rights-Language docx | 28 KB | Last Changed: 03/12/2014 11:49am
- About-the-deaf-and-disability-network pdf | 100 KB | Last Changed: 01/07/2014 2:43pm