The PSA – The Public Service Association/Te Pūkenga Here Tikanga Mahi – is New Zealand's largest union, representing over 80,000 workers in central and local government, health and community services. We are a progressive union, advocating to improve the working lives of members and the public services they provide.
The PSA operates a co-leadership model of two National Secretaries, reporting to and maintaining close working relationships with the Executive Board.
We have a vacancy for one National Secretary.
The National Secretaries work closely together to provide strategic leadership to the union, building a bi-cultural working environment at the PSA. Together they are responsible for the political, industrial and operational management of the organisation, including managing the financial and human resources of the union; leading, motivating and inspiring ownership, commitment and enthusiasm for the union's vision and direction.
This is a key role that demands a unique blend of skills and experience. The successful candidate will have:
- ability to operate in a co-leadership environment
- a proven ability to provide strategic advice and leadership
- excellent political and industrial skills, including being able to advocate and negotiate effectively in a wide variety of contexts
- experience in leading, managing and motivating staff
- strong financial management skills
- outstanding relationship management skills with an ability to build partnerships and collaborations with key stakeholders
- a sound understanding of the union and political environment in which the PSA operates and knowledge of the organisation and operation of government and the union movement
- experience leading and motivating a membership based organisation
For further information, or to request an application pack, please contact Elizabeth Byron on 04 816 5036 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand.
Closing date for applications is 5.00pm on Wednesday 9 February 2022.