A better public sector
One of the PSA’s four strategic goals is, by 2020, we will have a reformed public sector and that the value of public services and publicly funded services will be recognised by the public, political parties, employers and commentators.
The PSA is an active voice on state sector reform.
In 2014 we held a series of lectures and and published an e-book advocating for reform: Rethinking the State Sector Act, 2014.
The 2012 State Sector Public Finance Reform Bill made what the State Services Commissioner has referred to as “once in a generation” changes to the State Sector Act. Read the PSA submission here.
In 2009 and 2010, in response to the Global Financial Crisis and austerity agenda of the government we published a discussion paper for PSA members – State of the Future – strong public services for tough times and commissioned Why We Need Public Spending from David Hall of Greenwich University.
In 2008, at the After the Reforms conference, PSA national secretary Brenda Pilott and policy advisor Glenn Barclay presented a paper on the effects of the construct of the public service chief executive as the employer in the State Sector Act.
In 2006 the PSA commissioned the UK-based independent think tank Demos to develop a vision for public services in the future. Read Reimagining Government – putting people at the heart of New Zealand’s Public Sector.
The PSA also commissioned David Coats of the UK’s Work Foundation to explore Harvard Kennedy School Professor Mark Moore’s concept of public value – Reviving the Public – a new governance and management model for public services.
- Re-imagining-Government-2006-Demos-report pdf | 397 KB | Last Changed: 17/05/2016 1:51pm
- Past its use by date?: Reshaping and refocussing the state sector pdf | 182 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Employment relations: Nurturing the commitment of public sector workers to a wider cause pdf | 217 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Value for money: The power of the public dollar pdf | 190 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- A mood for change: Ideas for public management renewal in New Zealand pdf | 246 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Staying in control: Public assets for the public good pdf | 177 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Respective roles: The public sector and the communty and voluntary sector pdf | 195 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Empowered to serve: A new relationship for central and local government pdf | 163 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Collaborative government: A new approach to restructuring pdf | 180 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Making a difference: Public entrepreneurship and public value pdf | 178 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm
- Realising public value: Engaging citizens in government pdf | 179 KB | Last Changed: 18/09/2014 1:58pm