COVID-19 by Sector

PSA members work for a wide range of organisations around the country. On these pages you will find more specific information on COVID-19 and your sector.

We will update these page as things evolve.

Public Service and State




Community Public Services


Local Government


For PSA-wide updates, please refer to the previous page.

Return to COVID-19 (Coronavirus)


People working for labour hire companies and others working for organisations outside of the formal State services

We expect that your employer will provide you with paid leave consistent with the table under the Public Service and State Sector tab, and PSA organisers are engaging with your employer to negotiate this.  Your contractual leave entitlements will apply.  If your leave entitlements are exhausted and your employer does not provide you with additional paid leave as set out in the table above, support through the Government’s Covid leave scheme may be available.  Your employer can apply through MSD for support to pay full time (over 20 hrs) workers $585.80 and part time (less than 20 hrs) workers $350 per week for up to 12 weeks.


The Government has a Covid-19 leave payment scheme for self-employed people that you may be able to access if you need to take time away from work because of illness or self-isolation. Call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 (Monday to Friday 7am to 6pm, Saturday 8am to 1pm) to find out if you are eligible.

If you are ill, please stay home. This is important so that your colleagues stay healthy but also for public health - so that the virus does not spread. If you have the symptoms of Covid-19, please call the special Healthline 0800 358 5453 or your doctor immediately. The Ministry of Health website has the best and most reliable information about what is happening with Covid-19.