Bullying is widespread in the public sector, especially in health and education. There are a number of resources to help you recognise bullying and advice on how to go about putting a stop to it.
Workplace bullying is not OK.
If you are being bullied at work:
- Don’t accept the blame for other people’s behaviour.
- It is important to seek support from colleagues and your PSA delegate.
- Find out more about bullying and ways of dealing with it.
- Keep a written record of all incidents of bullying.
- Ask for any complaints about your work to be put in writing.
- If you choose to confront the bully, have someone with you. Don’t lose your temper.
- If it doesn’t stop, make a formal complaint to to someone at a senior level.
- Keep in touch with the union at all stages – your delegate or your PSA organiser.
- Support other workers who are being bullied.