MOJ Industrial Action Info

All industrial action has been suspended from 1.30pm, 30th November.

Wellington 7 Copy4

PSA members across the country have taken work-to-rule actions and lightning strikes. 


This will be released to members once the Terms of Settlement are signed next week (3-7th Dec).

Want to know more about the PSA Hardship Fund?

A summary can be found here.

It is a fund set up to provide assistance to members who may experience hardship as a consequence of taking industrial action. The assistance is not intended to be full compensation for loss of wages. The Fund consists of donations from the wider membership and other union members, which we call for at the time any industrial action is due to take place.  

How do I apply?

It is all done on-line. Simply click on this link, fill out and submit the form, and the Hardship Committee will be quickly in touch.

How do I donate?

The details for making a donation to the fund are:

Bank branch : BNZ North End, Wellington
Account name : New Zealand Public Service Association
Account number : 02-0536-0016596-25
Put MOJ in the reference.

What is the process for members to access this Hardship Fund?

Members can apply using the link above.  Applications are then considered by a committee of the PSA President, Treasurer and the secretariat, in consultation with selected delegates from the Ministry. The MOJ Delegates are Ulualo Mareko and Rochelle Broxton.  We will try to process applications as soon as possible after receiving them. Under the policy payment can be by voucher or by deposit into a bank account. 

What are the criteria for accessing the fund?

  • The member must have lost ordinary time wages as a result of industrial action
  • The member must be experiencing hardship i.e. they are struggling to meet the basic necessities of life as a consequence of industrial action

Are members able to access this fund on the 1st Strike if it means Financial Hardship will be incurred if they participate in industrial action?

This is what we did in the MBIE and IR disputes and we would probably do so again.

Is there a maximum amount which members can apply for?

We will need to make this decision as part of the development of criteria to reflect the likely demand on the fund in any given industrial action.

What would the allocation be for Ministry of Justice?

There is no allocation as such. There is money in the Fund already and we will call for donations at the time any industrial action is announced. If necessary we may repeat the call for donations.