MOJ Performance Pay
Performance Pay - It's had its day!
The PSA believes that pay is the compensation provided by an employer to a worker for their labour, time, knowledge and skills. We do not accept that pay is a ‘reward’, neither do we accept that pay should be used to incentivise workers either individually or in teams.
This is because:
- It reinforces the ‘master-servant’ relationship
- It undermines high involvement/ high performance workplaces and teamwork where workers are empowered to contribute
- It is often based on measuring subjective factors outside of the control of the worker
- It can undermine effective performance management
- It is one of the contributors to unequal pay outcomes for women and other disadvantaged groups
The PSA's policy on what a fair pay system looks like can be found here.
Other MOJ Pages: